Background and objectives of the activity:
The activity was intended to discuss the services that ICT4Farmers offers which are the Toll-Free call Centre, the Mobile app, the Dashboard, and the E-Agriculture academy, they also understand how these can be used by the young farmers in Uganda under this partnership with the Uganda National Young Farmers Association.
About Uganda National Young Farmers Association.
UNYFA is an umbrella body for young farmers in Uganda that started in 2016 and was launched in June 2017 as a duly incorporated member-based organization, with a registration number 80020000478713 under section 18(3) of the Companies Act 2012. It has 54 members which district young farmers associations, farmer youth groups, and school agricultural clubs totaling 24,000 individual young farmers.
UNYFA is driven by the desire to have a holistically transformed youth in agriculture for a sustainable economy: its target group is youth between 12 to 39 years of age who are rural and/or urban agro-based and young farmers in and out of school/ Institutions. Due to the diverse interests of farmer groups/farmers’ based organizations, young farmers need specific training; UNYFA provides platforms for these youths where they can express and acquire tailor-made training.
Sub-activities implemented and venue(s):
The meeting was held at the Nakasero offices of UNYFA.
1. Discussed the current operations of the Young farmers’ federation and their capacity and impact on the young farmers.
2. The different services ICT4Farmers offers and how they can benefit the young farmers.
3. Discuss the Farmers’ call Centre and how the call Centre service can be promoted and extended to the young farmers.
4. Discuss the E-Agriculture academy and how the UNYFA can use this service to train its farmers.
Key outputs/Key results:
· UNYFA appreciated the discussion and the services ICT4Farmers is offering.
· UNYFA was grateful for having a toll-free help line number 0800209003 services extended to their farmers.
· Mr. Kabitto Denis the CEO appreciated the E-Agriculture academy and suggested how they could use the platform to offer training to their farmers.
· UNYFA and 8Tech agreed to have an entry meeting in the week of 25th to 29th to discuss the collaboration and how to work together.